Being a city is not just about having a fire department, police, or utility engineering on staff. The purpose of a city is to create a group of people who will take responsibility for their community and make it a better place. Here is what our city has to offer:
- Community vision planning underway- Listening to residents & business owners about what they want for the future.
- Starting in 2022: Okaloosa Tourism Development District funds allocated to the city ($155,000 minimum / year) for use in attracting tourism- ex: community events or business grants etc.
- Federal grants + programs which take funding infrastructure project burdens off the resident taxpayers (American Rescue Plan:$2.2M, CARES ACT)
- Locally elected council members who listen and prioritize you- juxtaposed to county commissioners who have 210,000 residents to prioritize.
- A legitimate phased water/sewer plan to replace infrastructure operating years over its life expectancy.
- Enhanced law enforcement services within city limits. Two full-time officers.
- Representation in the Okaloosa-Walton Transportation Planning Organization (TPO) advocating for Mary Esther's residents to the Florida Department of Transportation. ex: what to do about widening Highway 98.
- Local library providing educational services to residents.